Monday, October 21, 2013

Site Visits - Take 2

I've been away for some weeks now. And while I now have thousands of pictures, it's difficult to choose just a few to put up here.

In the first week of October I was sent on some more site visits.  We were again in Kavre, just 2 hr SE of Kathmandu, and visited two new villages.  This time they weren't near the road, or even a short hike from it. It took us two days to reach the first village and the last day 6hrs uphill and 3 hrs downhill to get back.  These were 8-10 hr days of hiking. Even though I brought too much compared to the other guys, I loved it!

There was so much beautiful scenery!  We had to cross a lot of rivers, sometimes with suspension bridges, but mostly walking across knee and waist deep trying not to get too wet.  The trails were often through rice patties and along cemented canal edges.  These were often slippery and usually with a steep fall on one side.  I was given a walking stick on the first day and was glad to have it for balance.

The villages were great!  I was the only foreigner and all the children were super curious, but really shy.  If I was lucky enough to sneak a picture, they loved seeing themselves afterwards.

The food...hahaha!  Lots of Dahl Bhat, plates full of rice, always too much for me, and everyone from our group would finish before me, leaving me inside trying to finish as the villagers stared at me hoping I would ask for more.  Chang, which is basically a bowl of maize beer.  Locally caught fish...or rather just fish heads in one village, and in the other a goat they slaughtered in front of me.  Yep, certainly was an experience.

There was quite a bit of rain, and on the last day we had to ascend 2100 meters up and over a hill in order to reach the closest town where our jeep could pick us up.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha really loving that one with you drinking out of that fancy Aladdin teapot. Those kids look terrified haha

    ReplyDelete