Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pokhara

Dasain is a yearly Hindu festival celebrated for 15 days with quite intriguing aspects.  For example, one of these days is set aside to worship vehicles.  Also, LOTS of goats are sacrificed and eaten for the next several days.  You can even see these goats being sold at markets, driven home on top of local busses, and even "sacrificed" if you're not careful where you're walking or looking. Bamboo swings are also set up throughout the country, where it's believed these promote health for the next year.  For many of the Nepalese, this holiday means family celebrations, for we foreigners, it's vacation and trekking time!

I was on my way to Pokhara, the second largest city in Nepal, and what turned out to be a major tourist hub.  It was basically Thamel at the lake.  If I hadn't already explained, Thamel is the major tourist area of Kathmandu, nice but "pricey" restaurants, lots of guest houses, and plenty of trekking gear stores (usually fake name brand crap for cheap).

However, I had a slight problem getting there.  All the tourist busses were booked, unless I wanted to try to find one at 6am...which I didn't.  Flights were too expensive, and my only real option was a micro-bus.  I've heard about these...and not good things.  They like to cram as many people in as possible and also drive pretty crazy.  Both true!  With at least 20 other people in a small van, my seat was a bucket and most of the trip I was praying for my life as they weaved around traffic.  Just have a little faith in the driver and it's not as bad as you're expecting, and only about $5 for a 6-7hr journey.

Pokhara
The air was fresh, the scenery was beautiful, and like I already mentioned...lots of foreigners.  I was only here for two days before my trek.  I met up with some friends and we visited some places for milk tea, pizzas, and pretty views. Even went up to the World Peace Pagoda. Check out the pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment